Everyday, we can find ourselves in situations that might compromise our oral health. A sudden blow to the face during activities or an unnoticed rock that causes us to trip, can leave us with a knocked out tooth.
A knocked out tooth, or avulsed tooth, is one of the most serious dental emergencies, for children and adults alike. It must be attended to immediately thus a calm reserve is very crucial in dealing with it.
If you or your child’s tooth is knocked out, make sure to perform first aid and visit your family dentist at Lightwood Dental immediately.
What To Do For A Knocked Out Permanent Tooth?
- Rinse your mouth with clean lukewarm water.
- Press a cold compress on the outside cheek of the affected area to reduce swelling.
- Find the tooth immediately.
- Hold it by the crown (top part of the tooth) and not at the root of the tooth. Handle carefully as damage may prevent re-implantation.
- If the tooth is dirty, wash the tooth gently in a bowl of lukewarm water for no more than 10 seconds. Do this only if there is dirt or any foreign matter on the tooth.
- Reinsert the tooth into its original position if possible. Hold it in place by gently biting down on a clean piece of cloth.
- If you can’t reinsert the tooth, soak the tooth in saline or milk. If you don’t have either, you can put the tooth in a bowl with your saliva.
- Go to your dentist within 30 minutes of the emergency.
What To Do For A Knocked Out Baby Tooth?
- The same procedure should be followed, however do not try to reinsert the knocked out tooth since this can cause damage to the developing permanent tooth underneath.
- Clean the tooth with the same precaution, soak in milk, saline, or saliva.
- Get to your dentist within 30 minutes of the emergency.
Lightwood Dental Treatment For A Knocked Out Tooth
If the tooth was successfully reinserted, you Lightwood Dental dentist will assess if it is in the right position by taking an X-ray.
If the tooth was not successfully implanted your dentist will try to reinsert the tooth by numbing the area first so that you wont feel any pain.
Your dentist may perform a splinting technique to hold the reinserted tooth in place for several days or weeks, depending on the severity of the damage. Your dentist will monitor your recovery during your subsequent visits to make sure you don’t contact any infection.
Same Day Emergency Appointment At Lightwood Dental
Lightwood Dental, your family dentists in Ferntree Gully and Knox City guarantees Same Day Emergency Appointment for you dental emergencies.
Our team is trained to deal with almost all types of dental emergency with urgency and efficiency.