Dental crowns are restorative dental treatments that re-establish your teeth’s form, strength, and appearance by placing a tooth shaped “cap” over the prepared tooth.
At Lightwood Dental, we are dedicated to providing long-lasting and natural-looking crowns made from high-quality materials and fabricated in our state-of-the-art dental lab.
How Dental Crowns Work?
A dental crown acts like a “crown” or “cap” for teeth, and it covers the entire visible portion of an affected tooth. You can benefit from dental crowns in the following situations:
- Severely worn or cracked teeth
- Protect weakened tooth from breakage
- Keep cracked tooth from further breakage or damage
- To keep the structural integrity of a tooth filling that has reduced too much tooth structure
- Unattractive teeth shape and colour
- As conjunction to other restorations such as dental implant and bridges
- Used in cosmetic procedures
Common Types of Dental Crowns
Full porcelain – an attractive, stable, and highly wear-resistant type of crown that doesn’t contain metal and provides the best natural colour match to your neighbouring teeth.
Full metal – metal crowns are often recommended for back teeth where biting and chewing forces are the greatest. Metal crowns rarely break and require minimal removal of tooth structure.
Porcelain-fused-to-metal – the combination of porcelain and metal results in natural-looking and durable restoration. However, this type of crown requires the removal of more tooth structure than regular metal and porcelain crowns.
Dental Crown Treatment Procedure
- The treatment may take multiple visits, depending on the condition of your teeth and gums. A prior root canal procedure may be required for a severely damaged tooth.
- Once all preliminary treatment has been completed, your dentist will start the dental crown procedure.
- Your dentist will file down or build up the tooth, depending on the type of damage the tooth has sustained.
- Impressions of your teeth will be made so that the restoration can be designed specifically for a perfect fit.
- A temporary crown will be fitted first to protect the tooth until the permanent restoration is made.
- On the final appointment, your dentist will make sure that the crown fits perfectly and is cemented into place.
Go for High-quality Dental Crowns in Ferntree Gully
If one of your teeth has been damaged or is missing, schedule an appointment with your trusted Ferntree Gully dentist at Lightwood Dental to determine the right restoration for your problem. Your dentist may recommend dental crowns to re-establish the strength and aesthetics of your teeth.
Lightwood Dental fabricates premium quality dental restorations to ensure effective and long-lasting results.