Wisdom Teeth Removal
Impacted, troublesome wisdom teeth can cause a lot of grief. Let your experienced Ferntree Gully dentist manage this major dental problem and, in most cases, deal with them in our clinic.
Between the ages of 17 and 24, wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, start to emerge at the very back of your mouth. In most cases, wisdom teeth don’t cause trouble; however, if there isn’t enough room for the emerging teeth, they can become “impacted”
If your tooth pain is caused by a wisdom tooth, visit your dentist at Lightwood Dental as soon as possible to determine if your case requires wisdom tooth removal.
Potential Problems with Wisdom Teeth
Wisdom teeth are troublesome if they become impacted. Impacted wisdom teeth can cause a myriad of problems such as:
- Development of infection in and around the tissue that covers the impacted tooth
- Swollen red gums
- Tooth pain
- Headache or facial pain
- Jaw stiffness
- A general feeling of being unwell
- Formation of cysts around the impacted tooth
Antibiotics may be prescribed to address the infection. However, in some cases, tooth extraction may be recommended as the permanent solution for bothersome, impacted wisdom teeth.
Wisdom Teeth Removal
Treatment for wisdom teeth depends on several factors. If the tooth doesn’t cause problems, home care and follow-up dental appointments are recommended. However, if they become crooked or impacted, your dentist will likely recommend removal.
Surgery is typically the best course of action for impacted teeth. For tooth that has fully erupted through the gum, your dentist will perform a standard tooth extraction. However, if the tooth has not broken through the gum line, an impacted tooth removal is carried out.
The procedure can be done under local or general anaesthesia, depending on your case. Local anaesthestic is used to block the pain from your teeth and gums while you stay conscious. However if it’s a complicated removal or you feel extremely anxious about the procedure, your dentist may recommend general anaesthetic.
The procedure of removing wisdom teeth is similar to extracting any other teeth. But for deeply impacted teeth, your dentist will make an incision in the gums. The incision is sutured using dissolving stitches. The wisdom teeth removal procedure can take between 30 to 60 minutes to complete.
After Care Post Surgery
- Do not drive if you are under sedation or general anaesthesia
- Apply ice on the swelling jaw immediately after the surgery (swelling should subside after 4 to 5 days at most)
- Avoid touching the extraction site with your tongue or hands
- Avoid drinking or eating hot foods for 24 hours to prevent the wound from bleeding
- Do not rinse your mouth or swish water after 24 hours as this can dislodge the formation of blood clot
- Do not smoke or drink alcoholic beverages for 2 to 3 days following the surgery as this can result in serious complications and delay the healing process
Comprehensive Wisdom Teeth Solutions at Lightwood Dental
If your wisdom teeth cause you pain or discomfort, we encourage you to see your dentist at Lightwood Dental in Ferntree Gully as soon as possible. We have extensive knowledge and skills in dealing with problematic wisdom teeth.
We have handled a vast range of simple and complicated cases of wisdom teeth, and we use advanced methods, including anaesthesia or sedation techniques, to solve the problem safely and efficiently.