Missing teeth can affect your teeth and oral health. They can cause your remaining teeth to shift out of position, affecting your bite and leading to unsightly gaps between adjacent teeth.
In addition, missing teeth lead to resorption (diminishing) of your jaw and eventually affect the overall profile of your face. To avoid these problems, your dental team at Lightwood Dental recommends replacing missing teeth as soon as possible.
If you want to regain your dental health and confidence, we encourage you to visit your dentist at Lightwood Dental in Ferntree Gully for a dental implant consultation.
How Dental Implants Restore Your Smile?
Dental implant posts, which can be made from zirconia or titanium, are surgically inserted into the jaw and act as the artificial root for a new tooth. The metal posts integrate with the surrounding bone to create a long-lasting and durable foundation for replacement teeth such as crowns, bridges, or even dentures.
When you lose a single tooth (or multiple teeth), the jawbone that supports the tooth no longer receive the same amount of stimulation. This results in resorption of the jawbone. During the first year without a tooth, jawbone width and height will decrease by around 25%.
Once the bone (alveolar) has completely deteriorated, the jawbone (basal) will also resorb (melt away), causing a serious effect on your speech, and even facial aesthetics. Dental implants are the only dental procedure that stops resorption in its track.
What Is Involved In Getting Dental Implants?
- Your dentist at Lightwood Dental will thoroughly examine and evaluate the health of your teeth, gums, and jaw to determine if you are a suitable candidate for implant dentistry.
- Your dentist will also evaluate your medical history, to determine other factors that could affect the success of the treatment. This includes your lifestyle (drinking or smoking) and health conditions (gum disease, diabetes, cancer).
- Your dentist will plan the tooth restoration and discuss the dental implant treatment with you, which includes the procedure’s costs, risks, benefits, and alternatives available.
- Your dentist will then prepare your mouth for the procedure. The first procedure involves inserting the implant into the jawbone.
- After completing the first part of the treatment, the implant will be allowed to fuse to the bone for around two to six months (the osse-ointegration process)
- Finally, after the osseo-integration process, your dentist will complete the treatment by placing the replacement teeth (crowns or tooth restorations) on the dental implant.
Advanced Implant Dentistry in Ferntree Gully at Lightwood Dental
Before any procedure, your dentist at Lightwood Dental will give you a thorough dental exam to determine if dental implants are the right option for you. If you suffer from tooth loss, we recommend getting restorative treatment as soon as possible to avoid the serious consequences of missing teeth.
We are a team of qualified and dedicated dental professionals committed to providing you effective and high-quality solutions for your smile issues.