Root Canal Therapy
Root canal therapy, or endodontics, saves a severely cracked or decayed tooth when the pulp of the tooth becomes inflamed or infected. If not treated immediately, such teeth can cause extreme pain, infection, or even tooth loss.
At Lightwood Dental, our dentists are up to date on the latest techniques and developments in the field of root canal treatment.
When to see your dentist?
See your dentist right away if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Tooth or gum pain and swelling
- Tooth discolouration
- Prolonged sensitivity to heat or cold
- Tooth is tender when touched
- A tooth abscess
- Formation of pus in your mouth
- Tenderness or swelling in the lymph nodes under the jaw
Root Canal Procedure
To start the procedure, your dentist will perform the following steps:
- Numbing the area surrounding the affected tooth with a local anaesthesia.
- Opening the crown of the tooth to expose the chamber of pulp in which the dentist will perform the procedure. If there is an abscess present, your dentist will first allow it to drain for a few days before performing the endodontic procedure.
- Examining and removing the pulp (removal is necessary if the pulp is damaged or dead). If only the pulp is infected, your dentist may only clean and remove the infection.
- Cleaning the canals of the tooth that lead to pulp’s root to get rid of any germs and bacteria. Canal reshaping may also be performed.
- Filling the tooth with a temporary sterile material.
On the second visit, your dentist will remove the temporary filling, clean the tooth and fill it with a permanent filling material. The final step of the procedure involves putting a new crown on the tooth to seal and protect the tooth from further damage.
Benefits of Root Canal Therapy
The name of the procedure may sound scary and painful; however, root canal itself is painless and aims to eliminate the ache and discomfort caused by the infection underneath the tooth.
Root canal therapy saves your teeth from having to be extracted. Root canal treated teeth can last also last for a lifetime. In addition, root canal can:
- Prevent tooth loss and its serious effects
- Eliminate pain that result from infection, dental damage, and sensitivity
- Prevent the spread of infection to neighbouring teeth or gums
Reliable Root Canal Therapy at Lightwood Dental
Lightwood Dental employs modern techniques and methods to provide you with reliable, painless solutions for your dental problems. For excellent root canal solutions in Ferntree Gully, visit your dental care partners at Lightwood Dental today.